Monday 6 January 2014

Wonky Christmas Trees



A few years ago I belonged to Parkhouse Quilters which met up regularly in Bude.  Sadly I was not able to continue attending due to childcare. 

However on one of their outings we all went over to see Jo Colwill at Cowslip Workshops (http://www.cowslipworkshops.co.uk/) where she taught us the above block - one triangular tree surrounded by wonky log-cabin. 

I loved the pattern so much I came home I thought I could make a hanging to go on the wall up the stairs.  Where we used to live it was a very high wall and I thought it make a great statement. 

I made a long wall-hanging using Christmas fabrics for all the log cabin strips.  The trees are a gorgeous graduated green that is covered in silver glitter.  The tree trunks are literally scraps of brown fabrics as it was such a tiny piece. 






To make it more of a statement I used all the scraps of the fabrics used in the log cabin and the trees and of course the calico background and made Prairie Points for the outside (have a look how to make them here - http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/prairie_points.htm) and I think that they do finish it off nicely - along with the quirky star quilting.



So now the wall is bare. 

We could always put up Jonathan's Marvel poster which fits rather nicely .... or I could make another quilt..... 

... I have an idea for one using Japanese fabric....

No comments:

Post a Comment